Auditions | Bell Shakespeare is auditioning for The Players 2018
• There will be a one-week workshop from 4-9 December 2017 (this year). This will be a week of intensive training, focusing on text, voice, ensemble-building and knowledge of Shakespeare.
• Rehearsal weeks are from Monday 26 March 2018 – Saturday 28 April 2018
• The full-time engagement will commence on 30 April 2018 and end on 29 September 2018 with an optional extension until 6 October 2018.
• The ensemble will be based in Sydney and must be willing to tour to all states and territories of Australia including metropolitan and regional areas.
• We are looking for actors who are passionate about working with young people, passionate about Shakespeare and interested in sharing that passion with kids.
• The ensemble of six actors will work as two teams of three, driving together to schools and delivering Bell Shakespeare’s In Schools Performance program.
• Please note: as per 2017, the In Theatre Schools production is no longer part of this program.
• There are some early starts, long days, some Sundays where you have to travel.
• It is hard work, but immensely rewarding and satisfying. Being a member of the Players builds your stamina as an actor, hones your craft and teaches you skills you can only learn by getting out there and doing it.
• It is a health and safety regulation that all actors in this program MUST be able to drive. Please only apply if you have a FULL driver’s licences (ie. not P plates).
• All actors in this program must be able to pass a national Working With Children Check.
• In 2018 The Players will perform three, 50-minute shows for schools audiences. For high school students this will include a version of Macbeth and a show called Shakespeare Is Dead for years 5-9, introducing upper primary and lower secondary students to Shakespeare’s work and world. For primary students, The Wonderful World of Will will introduce young children to Shakespeare’s plays in a new and unique way. This will be aimed at school years 3 – 6.
• These shows are performed in school auditoriums, theatres, halls and gyms up to three times a day.
• The Players also have the opportunity to work with Bell Shakespeare’s Artistic team during a Creative Development week.
• Should you wish to submit to audition for this program, please send your CV and headshot to email@example.com by COB Friday September 1.
• We will ideally adhere to the criteria of
a) demonstrated interest in Shakespeare
b) three years training at drama school or equivalent professional experience
c) a desire to work with young people.
d) ability to play a musical instrument is desirable not essential.
Therefore please understand that you may not receive an audition as this is not a general audition for the company.
• The auditions will be scheduled during the week commencing Monday 16 October, and call backs will be in the week commencing Monday 30 October so please ensure you are available to attend during these dates otherwise you cannot be considered.
• Should you be successful in securing an audition, you will be sent a date and time along with the required pieces to be learned during the week commencing Monday 11 September.
• Actors from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bell Shakespeare is pleased to offer a brand new work experience program for Year 10 students in 2017. Please visit the Work Experience page for more information. We are unable to offer any placements for high school students outside of this program.